Dr. Jim A. Johnson
Dr. Johnson received his Doctor of Optometry degree from Northeastern State University College of Optometry (NSUCO) in 1991. He also received his Bachelor of Vision Science degree from NSUCO in 1989. Dr. Johnson is a graduate of Kansas State University with a B.A. degree in Interior Architecture. Dr. Johnson started his practice in 1991 and has optometric licenses in Kansas and Oklahoma, is a member of the Kansas Optometric Association and the American Optometric Association. He is married to Paula who is a pharmacist and they have two sons in the medical field. Eric is a trauma surgeon in New York City and Brian is a pharmacist in Orlando, Florida. Dr. Johnson enjoys playing golf and traveling throughout the United States and many foreign countries with his wife.
Awards and Recognition
- Initial Optometric Recognition Award for education requirements by the American Optometric Association (3 year requirement of 50 continuing education hours per year)
- Optometric Recognition Award for educational requirements for 1995-present by the American Optometric Association. Dr. Johnson has received the award every year since being in practice which no other Kansas Optometrist has done.
- Practice management project grant sponsored by Bausch & Lomb and Northeastern State University College of Optometry.
- Dr. Johnson has participated in contact lens research sponsored by Bausch & Lomb.
- Completed twenty-four hour advanced course in "Managing the activities Glaucomas", as required by the Kansas Board of Examiners in Optometry to co-manage glaucoma.
- Internship in primary eyecare with Bowman Ophthalmology Eye Clinic, Tahlequah, OK.
Optometrist, currently working in Salina, Kansas. Scope of practice includes performing pre and post-operative exams for lasik and refractive surgery patients. Perform general eye exams, contact lens exams, treat eye infections and eye injuries, fit contact lenses, and co-manage cataract patients (1991 to present).
Deanna R. Helton - Receptionist
Joined the practice in February of 2017. Deanna works in the front office/reception and insurance areas. Deanna previously worked as a pediatric medical assistant and has over 15 years experience in Office Administration and Customer Service. She has also served in the United States Air Force for 8 years in the Military Personnel Flight as a Re-Enlistment Special Actions Manager. In her spare time Deanna enjoys camping, hiking, making crafts and keeping up with her 2 teenage daughters.
Trish L. Ragan - Optician
Joined the practice in January of 2018. Trish works in the practice as an optician and in the pre-testing areas. Trish has 8 years experience in the optical field with 4 years as an optician in the retail field and 4 years in an optical lab of the Grene Vision Group. In her spare time Trish injoys reading and taking care of her 2 children.